Wednesday, January 28, 2009

About a stereo I once knew...


Once upon a time, I learned to drive. My first vehicle was my older sister's old vehicle, which was my father's old vehicle, a 1993 Eddie Bauer Edition Explorer. You know, the ones that had the exploding tires, but that is a whole other story. Anyway, when i got the vehicle, my dad gave it a little upgrade, a new stereo deck. I was excited because I could now play CDs. I thought the deck was really cool. I just pushed a little button and the face plate would turn and slide out revealing the hidden CD insertion slot. I remember liking everything about it: the feel of the buttons, the color scheme, and the entire layout. It had an ATT button that would instantly turn the volume down low enough that everyone could talk without a problem and still just barely hear the music. If the button was pressed again, then the volume would instantly return to its previous volume. My younger sister learned to drive, and she got my mom's old minivan, which coincidentally had the same stereo deck that the Explorer had before it's upgrade. I used to tease her about not being able to play CDs. Jump into the future a few years. I'm at Texas A&M. In parking lot 50, I get side swiped by another student who is talking on a cell phone and not paying attention. The insurance company decides that it is cheaper to pay the blue book value for the Explorer than to repair it. Now the minivan gets the stereo deck. My younger sister is really excited that she can now play CDs. Jump a year or so into the future. My sister says that she needs help setting the time on here stereo deck. I say sure and tease her about not being able to play CDs. She sulks and says that its not fair. Wait a minute, she has my old deck now; she should be able to play CDs. She says that she thought that was the case, but she couldn't find where the CD is supposed to go in. I know that I gave her a demo of everything when she first got it, and I had never forgotten how to open it. However, she could not see any obvious signs of how a CD would go in. Well, she was really excited once again to be able to play CDs. Now onto the time. After a year of not seeing this radio I had forgotten how to set it's time. It took a little deep thinking and remembering to get it done. If I remember correctly, the source has to be switched to none, which is essentially turning off the radio. Then and only then can the time portion of the menu be accessed. I found that rather annoying after getting used to the simplicity of the clock in my current vehicle, which I am proud to say is a 1992 Acura Legend. Trust me, it may be old, but it is nice. I won't even put details on how to set the time in the Acura; I'll just post a picture and see if you can figure it out. There is still much I like about my old stereo deck, but there is also much that could be improved. I am pretty happy with my current stereo, and everything is easy to adjust. I'm sure you can see the simplicity. I would rather have a stereo that is twice as big as usual than a stereo that has all of its features buried.

2 comments:

  1. The only thing I question in your radio is the Reset button. What does it reset? I know that in other cars it resets the seconds. It could reset the minutes or hours. Really I am splitting hairs though. I am not sure that the reset button is really needed, but on the other hands, I think it does 0 harm to have it in. I guess if the time is currently 12 or close to it then it is useful. I do like the plastic covering over the buttons since it isn't too hard to have something move in you car and hit one or just accidentally hit a button while reaching for something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is definitely a better design than some of the cars I've seen have. Most of them require you to hold down one button while pressing a different button whose normal function has nothing to do with clocks. The words hour/min are usually barely readable (raised lettering, not even painted on). I'm young and can barely read it. I have no idea how they expect old people to find it without searching for the instructions in the manual.

    ReplyDelete